Resources for Individuals

Rental Assistance through Individuals & Households Program (IHP)

IHP provides tax-free grants (Rental Assistance) to households displaced from their primary residence by a federally declared disaster such as the wildfires. These need-based grants enable homeowners and renters to secure temporary housing while repairs are made to their pre-disaster primary residence or while transitioning to new permanent housing. Rental Assistance may be used to rent a house, apartment, manufactured home, recreational vehicle, or other readily fabricated dwelling. To be eligible for Rental Assistance, the following conditions must be met:

  • you have losses in a presidentially declared disaster area;
  • you have no insurance, or your insurance claim has been denied, or your insurance settlement does not cover all of your losses;
  • you or someone who lives with you is a U.S. citizen, a non-citizen national, or a “qualified alien” (see Immigration chapter);
  • the affected home is where you usually live and where you were living at the time of the disaster; and,
  • you are not able to live in your home now, you cannot get to your home, or your home requires repairs because of disaster damage.

Only one application will be accepted from each household (generally, all people living in one apartment or house). (See additional information about IHP resources for rebuilding your residence below in the Repair and Rebuilding section of this chapter.) Apply online for assistance at or call the FEMA helpline at (800)621- 3362.

Who is Protected?

California law protects individuals from illegal discrimination by housing providers based on the following: Age; Race, color; Ancestry, national origin, Religion: Disability, mental or physical: Sex, gender; Sexual orientation; Gender identity, gender expression; Genetic information; Marital status; Familial status; Source of income. For additional information visit DFEH website at: