Rebuilding After a Wildfire

What you need to know when returning home after a wildfire

Contractor's State License BoardHire or File a Complaint regarding a contractor:

The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) verifies contractor licenses, investigates complaints, and provides helpful information about hiring a licensed contractor. For information on hiring or filing a complaint regarding a contractor, disaster victims may call CSLB’s Disaster Hotline M-F from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. at 1-800-962-1125, or the 24-hour automated telephone response system, 1-800-321-CSLB (2752). Licenses can also be checked online at:

You can also visit the Disaster Help Center at the CSLB site.

Fast Facts: Debris Removal & Construction Scams

Guide on Hiring Contractors for Fire Debris Removal

What You Should Know – Before Hiring a Contractor

What You Should Know – Before Hiring a Contractor – Español

Ten Tips Card – English and Español

Owner-Builder – Know Your Responsibilities

Owner-Builder – Know Your Responsibilities – Español

(This video was created following the 2017 Wildfires, but the information remains relevant)

Housing and Community Development

The California Department of Housing and Community Development (HCD) can assist with manufactured housing questions including repairs, installations and/or registration and titling. For information on obtaining construction permits for manufactured homes or parks contact the Riverside Area Office at 951-782-4420 or the Sacramento Area Office at 916-255-2501. For information concerning Registration and Titling call 1-800-952-8356; TDD 1-800-735-2929 or visit the HCD website at: For other types of housing recovery funding opportunities, please contact your local housing or economic development department. 

Mobilehome Park Rehabilitation and Resident Ownership Program

The Mobilehome Park Rehabilitation and Resident Ownership Program (MPRROP) makes short- and long-term low interest rate loans for the preservation of affordable mobilehome parks for ownership or control by resident organizations, nonprofit housing sponsors, or local public agencies.  MPRROP also makes long-term loans to individuals to ensure continued affordability.  Funds are made available through a competitive process in response to a periodic
Notice of Funding Availability. NOTE: Currently, MPRROP is accepting applications on an over-the-counter basis.

Other Risks

Floods are the most common and costly natural hazard in the nation. After a wildfire, the flood risk increases significantly. The time to buy flood insurance is now. Residents and business owners need to protect their homes and assets from the devastating financial losses from a flood, especially after a wildfire, before the next weather event occurs. To read more about your risk of a flood after a wildfire, click here. (Español)