Tax Assistance

Special Fee Waivers and Filing Extensions

Emergency Tax Relief for Business Owners (CDTFA)

Emergency tax or fee relief may be available for business owners or feepayers directly affected by disasters through the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (formerly the State Board of Equalization (BOE). Relief may include the extension of tax return due dates, relief of penalty and interest, or replacement copies of records lost due to disasters. For questions or assistance regarding sales and use tax, or special taxes and fees, contact the CDTFA at 1-800-400-7115 (TTY: 1-800-735-2929) or visit the CDTFA website at

Disaster Relief – Frequently Asked Questions

Disaster Relief Frequently Asked Questions from the Board of Equalization. To view these resources, go to

Assistance for Employers (EDD)

CA employers who are directly affected by a state of emergency may request up to a 60-day extension to file their state payroll reports and to deposit state payroll taxes with the California Employment Development Department (EDD), without penalty or interest. For further information, visit the EDD’s Emergency and Disaster Assistance for Employers page at:, or call the EDD Taxpayer Assistance Center at 1-888-745-3886; TTY 1-800-547-9565.

Tax Relief for Taxpayers (FTB)Franchise Tax Board Logo

The Franchise Tax Board (FTB) provides guidance in obtaining tax relief for disaster casualty losses. Contact FTB at 1-800-852-5711 (TTY/TDD for hearing or speech impaired: 1-800-822-6268) or visit the FTB website at: search keyword “disaster losses”.

Internal Revenue Service

For information on Disaster Assistance and Emergency Relief for Individuals and Businesses, visit the IRS website at, search keyword “Disaster” (Disaster Assistance) or contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040, (TTY: 1-800-829-4059).